VERASENSE has Shown to Potentially Reduce the Rate
of Primary TKA Revision
Financial Burden of TKA Revisions
2013 Medicare Provider Analysis and Review File (MED PAR)1
The annual healthcare financial burden of revision total knee arthroplasty (TKA) is estimated at $2.7 billion based on average hospital charges of $73,000 per case. Analysis of facility costs and Medicare reimbursements shows over 90% of hospitals lose money on revision TKA, with a loss of nearly $10,000 per procedure.
Sensor-Assisted TKA: Multicenter Study
TKA EARLY REVISION BURDEN (<2 YEARS, SOFT-TISSUE COMPLICATIONS)
VERASENSE multi-center study patients showed an almost 75% lower rate of revision TKA compared to national averages. This reduction represents clinical and financial benefit to both patients and providers.
Download printable copy of VERASENSE: Reducing Revision Rate and Mitigating Implant Cost in Revision TKA
Submit your question/inquiry by completing the form below, and an OrthoSensor representative will contact you:
1. Medicare Provider Analysis and Review File. 2013: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Database – Primary and Revision TKA.
2. Bhandari M, Smith J, Miller L, et al. Clinical and economic burden of revision knee arthroplasty. Clin Med Insights Arthritis Musculoskelet Disord. 2012. 5: 89-94.
3. Lavernia C, Lee DJ, Hernandez VH. The increasing financial burden of knee revision surgery in the United States. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 446:221-226.
4. Bozic K, Kurtz S, Lau E, et al. The epidemiologoy of revision total knee arthroplasty in the United States. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010. 468: 45-51.
5. Thiele K, Perka C, Matziolis G, Mayr HO, Sostheim M, Hube R. Current failure mechanisms after knee arthroplasty have changed: polyethylene wear is less common in revision surgery. J Bone Join Surg. 2015; 97(9): 715-720.
6. Lombardi AV, Berend KR, Adams JB. Why knee replaements fail in 2013: patient, surgeon, or implant? Bone Joint J. 2014; 96-B(11 Suppl A): 101-104.
7. Schroer WC, Berend KR, Lombardi AV, et al. Why are total knees failing today? Etiology of total knee revision in 2010 and 2011. J Arthroplasty. 2013; 28(8 Suppl):116-119.
8. Sharkey PF, Lichstein PM, Shen C, et al. Why are total knee arthroplasties failing today-has anything changed after 10 years? J Arthroplasty. 2014; 29(9): 1774-1778.
9. OrthoSensor Multicenter Evaluation. Pending Publication. Data on file at OrthoSensor, Inc.